Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk

Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering Yarn by The Little Monkey Shop

Last April I went to the last STITCHES conference in Nashville. I am always on the lookout for natural fiber yarns when I go to yarn shows.

 This year I was introduced to Natural Fiber Producersan agricultural cooperative made up of  those who raise Sheep, Alpaca, Angora, Buffalo, Musk Ox, and Mohair in the United States and Canada. By assisting with commercial fiber processing at a reduced cost, the Co-op is offering the opportunity for sustainability and enhanced profitability to its fiber producing owners.


Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering Yarn by The Little Monkey Shop

I purchased several different types of their yarns. Recently I finally had the time to crochet with their Suri Silk, a Fine, 3 ply Fingering weight yarn.


Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering yarn


It contains a combination of 30% Suri Alpaca, 10% Huacaya Alpaca, 40% Wool, 20% Tussah Silk        
Each skein has 437 yds/3.5 oz. The yarn is available in natural, and red, blue, and gold dyed colors, as well as combined multi-colored skeins. 


Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering Yarn by The Little Monkey Shop

I picked up one skein in Aurora Red, determined to create a shawl crochet pattern using just one skein. I love the yarn's natural look and delicate softness.

As I crocheted with the yarn, it just slid through my fingers easily. I was able to quickly find the yarn end in the center of the skein to pull free and start my project. I never encountered any knots, cut ends, or any other type of tangles and inconveniences.

Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering Yarn by The Little Monkey Shop

Believe it or not, one skein of the Suri Silk yarn created a beautiful fan and shell stitch shawl, 12" x 54" - my One Love Shawl.


Yarn Review: Natural Fiber Producers Northern Lights Suri Silk Fingering Yarn by The Little Monkey Shop

I look forward to trying some of the other types of Natural Fiber Producers' yarn that I purchased at STITCHES.

What I love best about this yarn is that with each skein we purchase, we are helping to sustain small family fiber farms and textile mills across the US.

Other Yarn Reviews


Natural Fiber Producers Yarn Review by Little Monkey Shop - Little Monkeys Design


No comments