Bucket List Challenge!

Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design

You hear it all the time - "Maybe some day I'll _____." Or "I'd really love to _____!" 

We all have a bucket list of things we'd love to do, places we'd like to go, people we want to meet.  Many of those things will never be checked off, but with a little effort and some stepping outside our comfort zone, a few of the items on our bucket list can be accomplished.


Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design

Professionally, one of my goals was to be published in a magazine. To have your mom or your best friend think your crochet patterns are awesome is one thing, but to have a professional magazine, dedicated to crochet, think that your patterns are worth publishing is really something else!

Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design

To accomplish this, I first had to step out of my usual comfort zone and put myself out there for a rejection. I sent in crochet submissions that met the magazines' call for submissions - what they were looking for in their upcoming editions. To increase my chances, I sent in a different pattern to three different publications. (You can't send in the same pattern to three different magazines!) 

Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design

Yes, a few were rejected, but one made it to publication, and that was all I needed to check it off my bucket list!

My Cable Stitch Wrist Warmers are in the February 2017 edition of Happily Hooked Magazine!


They even gave me a fun badge to put on my blog:
Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design
And it was kind of fun, so I sent in a few more patterns. Before I knew it, I had patterns accepted in several different crochet publications. 

Now, what started out as a bucket list challenge for myself has turned into a fun (and profitable) side job.

Who knew!

Bucket list challenge - magazine publication - by Little Monkeys Design

So I challenge you - look at your list of goals/desires/wishes - and pick one to focus on and make it happen!



2 comments

  1. Congratulations on your "Bucket List" accomplishment!! That's so wonderful when you get to fulfill something so meaningful and have it be in a place like Happily Hooked Magazine. It is so well respected and treasured by so many of the wonderful "World of Crochet" artists like Danyel Pink (Editor in Chief) and Salena Baca (I don't think she's still involved but was there for the start) along with many others. The magazine is a fantastic wealth of interesting stories about these crochet artists, so much useful information and innovative patterns...you are in great company. I wish you continued success and many more "Bucket List" check-offs!

    ReplyDelete