Knitting Heaven and Earth - a book review


I recently finished reading Knitting Heaven and Earth by Susan Gordon Lyon. It is aptly subtitled Healing the Heart with Craft. Susan Gordon Lyon also wrote The Knitting Sutra.

In this book, the author writes about how her knitting helped her deal with different experiences in life. She especially likes to knit lacy shawls, which she says are often how she feels herself - porous and full of holes.

A heart-breaking romance, the death of her father, and a breast cancer diagnosis leave her in a fragile emotional state. Through it all, Ms. Lyon finds strength and comfort in her yarn and knitting.

The majority of the first part of the book is about her crazy relationship with her on-again-off-again boyfriend. She starts the relationship knitting a lovely blue shawl (emotional roller coaster), then goes to a white shawl (wedding thoughts??), then ends with a black shawl grief). Ms. Lyons describes her relationship with this man as being a lot like knitting - you have to hold on with just the proper amount of tension - yarn and men! She also learns that with men, like with knitting, "the patterns don't lie" - you get what you see - you aren't changing the man.

Later in the book, Ms. Lyons writes about being diagnosed with breast cancer and how that changed her life and her knitting. She joins a support group and takes her knitting with her. She learned to knit outside the box, to look at her knitting and not at the pattern as she went.

In Knitting Heaven and Earth , Ms. Lyons also writes about her father being ill and in hospice. She reminds us that knitting is perfect for those times when there is nothing to do but wait - times of life transitions.

To sum it up - a quote from Knitting Heaven and Earth -

"It (knitting) has kept me inspired and happy. Though it hasn't been good for my pocketbook, it has been good for my spirit, soothing to my troubled mind. It has grounded me in times of happiness and consoled me through times of illness, sorrow, and loss.
Knitting has given my soul a way to fly free. I owe to the humble practice of knitting more than I can ever say."

I'm all about sustainable practices, and because I most likely won't read this book again, I'd like to pass it on to a fellow yarn crafter. To WIN this book - leave a comment below on the blog and on the Little Monkey's Shop Facebook page post about this book review, and sign up for my newsletter at Little Monkeys Designs, if you haven't already. A winner will be picked at random in one week.




4 comments

  1. This is the perfect book for me. I don't knit i crochet but the experiences mentioned in the book are similar to mine. I suffer from anxiety and stress and have low self esteem issues. Crocheting and friends have been such a lifeline to me and has taught me to start believing in myself and to love myself and my crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect book for me. I don't knit i crochet but the experiences mentioned in the book are similar to mine. I suffer from anxiety and stress and have low self esteem issues. Crocheting and friends have been such a lifeline to me and has taught me to start believing in myself and to love myself and my crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book would be perfect for me... I am a crocheter that had a life changing experience after a fall almost 6 years ago. The injuries and conditions have altered, changed and put so many restrictions on my life that I was struggling to feel productive or helpful to my family. I started crocheting again at that point because it was the only thing that I could do, and it helped me feel productive while I recovered in a hospital bed for 6 months after surgery number 1. Almost 6 years, 3 surgeries later, I am still severely limited in my abilities, and there are days where it is a struggle just to get out of bed. I have always had self esteem issues, but the result from the fall worsened those issues. I went into a downward spiral that I was not, nor would I ever be good enough for my family, my craft, or my life. I always stayed within my comfort zone with crocheting and always said that I was not good enough to do anything other than blankets. Fast forward to current, and I have moved on from blankets and am not making clothing, doing graphs and not afraid to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candyann Frisch - you have won the book! Congrats! Please PM or email me your address.

      Delete