Yarn Review: Appalachian Baby Design Yarn



Once I made the decision to use only natural fiber yarns in my crochet designs, I wanted to start with an organic cotton yarn for the summertime. It's actually been hard to find natural fiber yarns that haven't been "ruined" by being dyed with synthetic dyes.

Through a suggestion at a local yarn store I ordered a few skeins from Appalachian Baby Design yarn store online. Their cotton is organically grown in Texas ( my home state!) and then spun into yarn in West Virginia - so it's 100% USA made as well as 100% organic.


They carry cotton yarn in it's natural color, as well as cotton yarn dyed with earth friendly dyes. Right now they have a gorgeous pink and blue available.


Appalachian Baby Design cotton yarn is a sport weight. I think it is perfect for crocheting summertime baby blankets. I've created several crochet designs using their yarn.


The blankets have turned out very light weight and super soft! This is the Pure and Simple Baby Blanket - crochet design pattern and finished blanket are both available in my shops.


Using Appalachian Baby Design Organic Cotton yarn I designed this Shells Heirloom Baby Blanket. It has a beautiful lacy edging around the entire blanket.

 The finished blanket was easily steam blocked to make the edging stand out.


I've also created a Ribbed Vintage Baby Bonnet crochet design pattern using Appalachian Baby Design organic cotton yarn. It was very easy to work with in this type of project as well. The bonnet is super soft and delicate feeling - just like a baby's skin, but sturdy enough to hold up to use.


With cotton, I was a little worried about shrinkage when washed. I'm impressed that there is very little shrinkage of the finished crocheted items with this yarn. I would recommend planning for a little overage on the size of your project to allow for minimal shrinkage. I label my baby blankets: hand or cool machine washing and air drying, fluffing in a dryer at the end if desired.


In summary, I'm impressed with this lovely organic cotton yarn by Appalachian Baby Design and have many crochet design patterns in the works using this yarn. Now if they would carry the organic cotton yarn in a worsted weight, I could do so much more .... :)

Other Yarn Reviews



No comments