Switching to all Natural Yarns

 
We are for the most part what I would call an "All Natural" family.
 
 
We grow a lot of our fruits and vegetables in our garden and orchard from organic and heirloom seeds. We have even grown a lot of our own chicken, lamb and pork. We buy half of a grass-fed cow every year.
 
 
We even make our own Almond Butter.
 

 
 I doctor my family first with essential oils before heading to the pharmacy.
 
On top of that, my husband is working on a Master's in Sustainability from Lipscomb University here in Nashville.
 
So why am I still crocheting with acrylic yarns???
 
I like what Amy Solovay has to say on the subject at:
 
The Federal Trade Commission defines acrylic in the following way:
 
"Acrylic. A manufactured fiber in which the fiber-forming substance is any long chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 85 percent by weight of acrylonitrile units."
 
The "fiber-forming substance" simply means the stuff the fiber is made out of.
A "long-chain synthetic polymer" is just a fancy way of saying "plastic."
 
Acrylonitrile units – Acrylonitrile is a clear, toxic, water-soluble liquid chemical substance. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, acrylonitrile is probably carcinogenic, meaning that it probably causes cancer..
 
So let's recap. Acrylic is, by definition, a man-made, synthetic fiber which is comprised of at least 85% acrylonitrile, which is a toxic chemical that the EPA warns is a probable cancer-causing substance.
 
So I've decided it's time to make the switch to natural fibers - cotton, wool, alpaca, silk, bamboo, hemp, or a blend of several different natural fibers.
 
 
Image courtesy of vitasamb2001 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I wonder  - Why did I every use acrylic yarns to begin with? I think the answer is mainly because acrylic yarn is cheap, readily available at craft stores, and comes in a large variety of colors.
 
But considering the cost it may have on my health long term, I'm happy to switch to the more expensive, but earth friendly and healthier all natural yarns.
 
 


No comments